Sunday, December 13, 2009

Writing courses and being involved in curriculum

I thought that I would be a reporter for several years. After the closure of the Niugini Nius I in 1990,I ended up at the Bible Society as a part-time staff. However I worked for 4 years using my journalism training to write newsletters and do promotions as well as writing some brochures about Easter. After that I went back to the print media which was now computerised.In the early days of my career I was using electrical an electrical type writer. Then after a few months I went to work as the Media Coordinator with the PNG Bible Translation Association. This worked helped me to work on a magazine and do profiles for the translators and use a Risograph. Then I left to work with a someone who was self employed and I had to do administrative work and work on visas, passport and work permits. After two years I ended up with the print media again and then left to work in the Highlands for the last 9 years. I had to deal with student matters which were mostly administrative issues then for the last 4 years I have been involved in curriculum development writing course notes. This is something that I never learnt but my writing skills in the print media were put to good use. I also found that someone who is running a correspondence school in Australia was a former journalist and he has written so many new courses. Therefore do not think that all the skills you learnt were not appropriate. Some day somewhere you will utilise those skills in another field or profession

No comments:

Post a Comment