Thursday, March 19, 2009

Journalism helps in course writing

When I was selected to do Journalism in UPNG in 1985 I thought I would spend the rest of my life as a reporter in some of the newspapers. Being a son of a teacher, I also thought of being a teacher as well. However my English teacher at Sogeri National High School encouraged me to take up journalism. At that time I was the editor of a literary magazine writing poems and collecting articles from students.

So I applied to do Journalism and was accepted. After a four years with Niugini Nius until it folded and went into liquidation. I then joined the Bible Society as the Distribution Officer but also wrote newsletters and sent in prayer requests to the Asia Pacific headquarters. Most of the prayer points were used in the Bible Society publications.

From 1987 till now I have worked in several newspapers and another Bible translation organisation as a media coordinator. I also did some part-time work with an employment agency doing visas, work permits not knowing that such skills were preparing me for the role of the Registrar of CLTC from 2000-2004. I wrote the College's magazine for former students and the college newsletter.

Then at the end of 2004 I was transferred to the Distance Theological Education department as the Assistant Dean. In this job I have editted, checked, proof read course notes in English and Tok Pisin. Certainly my journalism training has really been put into good use.

I have just completed a course on leadership and will be continue to format a Tok Pisin course. Here at CLTC I have also taught journalism to students especially print media. I have helped in making brochures for special events as well.

So all of you scribes there be thankful for your training and do not be surprised that if you end up somewhere your journalist skills will be greatly needed.

That's all for now

2 comments:

  1. Praise the Lord...I am blessed. Continue to serve the Lord through your career. Lord will NEVER let go your hearts desire. I am always praying for you and your family.

    Blessings
    Jeffers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jeffers,

    You are always a blessing to others. Keep striving for the Lord. Thanks for your prayers.

    ReplyDelete